Submissions for Issue 2 will open on June 1st, 2022. In the meantime, make sure to check out our inaugural issue. Thanks!
General Submission Guidelines
- As you could probably guess, we’re solely looking for work that encompasses, includes or hints at the vast—and underrepresented—world of martial arts.
- What makes Clinch different from other sites that feature martial arts-based writing is that we aren’t interested in articles, opinion pieces, predictions, analysis, forecasts or betting odds. We’re only looking for creative writing in the literary genres (poem, narrative, short story, essay, etc.)
- While we’re committed to only publishing pieces located within that world, the degree of relevance martial arts must have within each piece can vary. For example, if you have a great story about tacos that just so happens to get eaten in a Muay Thai gym, we would love to consider it.
- We’ll consider any fiction and creative nonfiction submissions up to 5,000 words. Novel and memoir excerpts are acceptable as long as they can stand on their own.
- Poetry submissions must be limited to three poems or fewer. And as long as they don’t exceed 5,000 words combined, you’re in the clear.
- Clinch is only interested in previously unpublished work. This excludes work published on any website, including an author’s own site, from being submitted for consideration.
- We reserve First Electronic Rights to any piece we accept and publish. All other rights remain with the author. If you reprint your piece in a book or anthology, all we ask is that you mention it appeared here first.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but if a submission was accepted elsewhere please withdraw it.